Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Field work in the slow lane

Well I've got my research sites - two to be exact. Both organisations have received my email text to be sent to all the staff in the organisation inviting them to participate in my research but I haven't heard anything back yet in terms of actual replies from participants. It's slightly frustrating not knowing the status of the recruitment within the organisation since this is largely in the hands of the key contacts I have in those organisations. It's a fine line to tread between giving them time to follow through with the tasks at their end and hassling them to get them done...

In the meantime I've been working on the design of the interview and technology diary to be handed out to all the participants. The technology diary is proving to be quite challenging to conceptualise but I do have a template to refer to that is quite a good fit - one of my supervisor's everyday water diaries. Today I have been doing a bit of brainstorming on what it is that I hope the technology diaries will reveal about everyday use of information and communication technology in the office and then break them into themes and exercises that can act as guides for the diary users. I thought I'd try it out on a couple of friends in draft form to see how I can improve it.

No comments: